Common reactions to insects are swelling and redness at the site of an insect bite. However, people who are severely allergic can have a life-threatening reaction called Anaphylaxis. These serious reactions of insect allergies can be triggered by honeybees, yellow jackets, paper wasps, hornets and fire ants. Avoiding these insects can be difficult; however certain measures, such as avoiding brightly colored clothing and perfumes while outdoors, can help. Covering sodas and sweet meals while camping or cooking outdoors and wearing closed toes shoes can also help if you experience anaphylaxis due to insect allergies; carrying an epinephrine auto-injector to use it immediately is indicated.
Our board-certified Allergists will help you diagnose the exact insect and guide you on avoidance and treatment. Allergen desensitization or “allergy shots” are an effective long-term treatment for this type of allergy. Our doctors will prescribe injections with increasing amounts of the allergen to allow your body to build immunity.